State Bar of California
AREAS OF PRACTICE
General Corporate & Commercial
Venture Finance & Emerging Companies
Mergers and Acquisitions
Finance and Restructuring
Leveraged and Acquisition Finance
Trademarks and Brands
Licensing and Technology Transfer
Strategic Counseling and Portfolio Development
International Mergers and Acquisitions
Blockchain Technology & Digital Currency
J.D., Boston University School of Law, Cum Laude
A.B., History, Princeton University
Ross A. Epstein is a partner and chair of the Intellectual Property Group in the San Diego office. Mr. Epstein is a legal advisor to a wide array of clients including U.S., European and Asian multinational corporations; universities and other research institutions; small businesses and start-up companies; and sole inventors and entrepreneurs primarily in high tech and life sciences.
Mr. Epstein brings an unusual entrepreneurial perspective to the practice of law. Mr. Epstein has a unique affinity for the entrepreneurial client due to his hands-on experience in business as a founder, President, and CEO of BCH Communications. Mr. Epstein developed BCH Communications into a multi-million dollar telecommunications/internet business and also filled the in-house counsel role. This experience combined with his prior business litigation practice makes him uniquely qualified to advise and counsel growing companies in patent, trademark and business matters.
- Represented medical device company in the development and management of their patent and trademark estate in the United States and in twelve countries around the world resulting in broad intellectual property protection for their device and brand.
- Advised leading water district system monitoring company with the development and management of their US patent and trademark estate including evaluations of potential infringing competitors and advising on inventorship issues with disgruntled former inventor employees resulting in broad IP protection for their product in the US.
- Advised celebrity pitchman on a series of distribution agreements for the sale of his products; evaluated and enforced intellectual property assets against counterfeiters and online infringers resulting in offending online advertisements being removed and sales of client’s product increasing.
- Advised biotech startup company on terms and conditions for angel round of financing, introduced opportunity to potential angel investors and convertible promissory note resulting in a several hundred thousand angel round capital raise.
- Represented to IT service companies in a friendly merger transaction including a shareholders agreement resulting in a successful combination of their respective businesses.
- Intellectual Property in the Direct Response World: Why Bother? Direct Connect Newsletter, September 2013
- DEVELOPING AND LICENSING THE NEXT BIG THING! The Licensing Journal, July 2012
- Licensing and Distribution Agreements: Who Should Chase the Counterfeiters? July 2010