State Bar of California
United States District Court for the Southern District of California
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Outside General Counsel Services
Data Privacy and Security
General Corporate & Commercial
Mergers and Acquisitions
Cannabis Business Counsel
HR & Employment
Workers’ Compensation Defense
International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
Ignite at UCSD (Mentor)
J.D., California Western School of Law - San Diego
B.A., Political Science, University of California - Santa Barbara
James D. Snyder is a partner in the San Diego office. Mr. Snyder has a broad high-tech business transactions practice, with years of experience in law firms and as in-house General Counsel in San Diego, the San Francisco Bay Area and Silicon Valley.
Mr. Snyder's clients span many industries from connected car and IoT connectivity leaders and life sciences and healthcare chatbot pioneers to supply chain and financial services SaaS network providers. Mr. Snyder provides executive legal and compliance counsel to emerging and established companies. Having spent years as in-house General Counsel with technology and software companies, Mr. Snyder has a unique ability to focus on critical items for his client's businesses.
Mr. Snyder's General Counsel as a Service approach to representing emerging technology entrepreneurs ensures small businesses and start-ups receive the legal representation they need early on with fees that are consistent and fair.
In spending years representing analytics, software and SaaS companies, Mr. Snyder has been at the forefront of data privacy and security challenges and uses this unique skill set to set his client's apart from their competition. Mr. Snyder has extensive experience ensuring his clients are General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliant with respect GDPR and the European Union and he is well versed in California’s new privacy regime, the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), both of which directly affect the majority of businesses whether the business is directly in the European Union or California. Mr. Snyder also has extensive experience developing and managing his client’s open source software policies and procedures.
Mr. Snyder has extensive Mergers and Acquisitions and Financing experience, both as in-house General Counsel and as outside counsel in law firms. Mr. Snyder has represented companies around the world, bringing US companies into India, the United Arab Emirates, Japan, Hong Kong, China, Brazil and throughout Europe.
Mr. Snyder also enjoys sports, challenging himself in Tough Mudder competitions and camping with his wife, Jessica, and three children, Harrison, Cassidy and Colin.
- Chief legal and compliance executive for international SaaS supply chain, logistics and financial services platform provider. Directly manage all facets of international regulatory compliance in highly regulated financial services space as well as export and open source software compliance initiatives. Manage company’s patent, trademark, copyright and domain portfolio. Extensive leadership in all aspects of merger and integration efforts with the largest privately held technology company in the world. Re-design and simplify commercial SaaS, financial services and professional services terms and processes. Develop open source software and open API marketplace framework and strategy. Champion the company’s move into data analytics marketplace through development and oversight of data privacy, data security and SLA policy overhaul.
- Legal executive with software development testing company, helping to grow the business from $10m in annual revenue to over $100m in a few short years. Engineered sales contract governance processes and compliance procedures for data privacy and security as well as open source software. Executed company’s $375m exit when acquired by publicly held international technology company and oversaw the all integration efforts.
- Led data mapping team and developed GDPR compliant processes and oversight for international connected and autonomous car connectivity provider. Developed all data privacy and security policies and procedures and negotiated all data processing agreements with major auto manufacturers for client to ensure GDPR compliance.
- Developed CCPA plan of action for SaaS based data analytic provider. Re-designed data privacy policies across the company and led the overhaul to all data privacy matters for the client globally.
- Changing the Locks: Tips for Implementing Security Development Testing Standards in Research and Development
- The Magic of M&As: How Do They Really Happen?
- Speaker at Business Law Section Seminar entitled "How To: Get a Workable Contract to Signature Sooner"
- Speaker at Business Law Section CLE Seminar entitled "How To: Best Practiced for Drafting (and Reviewing) Contract Clauses for Limiting Liability"
- Forum-Selection Clauses Found in Many Commercial Agreements Are Enforceable; Supreme Court Clarifies Proper Procedure for Transfer Cycles