State Bar of California
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Mergers and Acquisitions
Private Equity/Venture Capital
Trademarks and Brands
Licensing and Technology Transfer
Blockchain Technology & Digital Currency
J.D., The University of Texas School of Law
B.S., Environmental Management, University of Houston - Clear Lake
Ethna M. Piazza is a partner in the San Diego office. Ms. Piazza's depth of experience includes a wide range of matters, including technology and brand licensing, mergers and acquisitions, international business, distribution, supply chain, emerging companies, subsidiary formation and governance, joint ventures, brand protection, and privacy. Ms. Piazza has led multiple M&A, contract, and licensing transactions and structured and negotiated complex deals with a focus on strategies for success.
Ms. Piazza as a General Counsel founded that the legal department function; analyzed and applied extensive legal experience to draft and advise on US and International distribution and dealer contracts, brand policies and software, smart phone app and other product development initiatives; led compliance matters; and managed all other legal matters, legal personnel and external counsel. Ms. Piazza developed and led an international network of specialist external firms focused on practical advice for legal and senior management, mindful of business goals and budgets.
Ms. Piazza created a phased, scalable strategic trademark, patent, copyright and brand protection program. Effectively work with consultants and government authorities. Ms. Piazza created workflow processes with legacy and new technologies such as digital signature portals to compress contract to cash timelines and kept processes on track despite heavy travel schedules.
As regulatory compliance adviser with research and administrative law experience, Ms. Piazza developed documents and procedures and counsel teams on regulatory matters such as privacy, import/export permits, supply chain, anti-corruption, antitrust, software license restrictions and data protection.
- Representing a software development founder in selling a controlling interested in his company.
- Represented a key Investor in a Series B Round investment in a veterinary medical device company expanding in international markets.
- Represented a government contractor in negotiating a patent and know-how license for artificial intelligence applications.
- Represented a U.S. Motocross company in preparing international product distribution agreements, retail and distribution guidelines and trademark and copyright policies.
- Represented a medical device company in preparing an international medical device distribution agreement.
- Represented a founder in forming a training and coaching company and preparing intellectual property agreements, training and coaching customer agreements and independent contractor agreements.
- Represented an international musical instrument manufacturer in preparing distribution agreements and preparing a software, app and product development agreement.
- Represented a private label buyer in negotiating a manufacturing, supply and technology license agreement for a product providing authenticated traceable assets.
- Represented a California Insurance services company in negotiating a website development agreement for re-design and hosting of its website and license or purchase of copyrighted artwork.