State Bar of New York
United States District Courts of the Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of New York
Unites States Court of Federal Claims
Unites States Circuit Court of Appeals for Federal Circuit
Unites States Circuit Court of Appeals for Second Circuit
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Real Estate Finance
Securities & Enforcement
Government & Regulatory
Professional Liability Litigation
International Banking and Trade Finance
J.D., Syracuse University College of Law, Magna Cum Laude
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Michael J. Maloney is a partner in the New York City office. Mr. Maloney is a trusted trial attorney and corporate advisor, he has represented clients in matters before state and federal courts around the United States and has coordinated global litigations involving multiple jurisdictions. He also advises clients in transactions and corporate governance matters.
Mr. Maloney helps clients identify, understand, and manage legal risk and exposure and to think two steps ahead of the other side.
Mr. Maloney has experience providing strategic advice in a wide range of legal matters, including financial services, securities, real estate finance, and international law. He focuses on providing clients with creative and efficient solutions to difficult problems.
Prior to joining CKR, Mr. Maloney served as a law clerk to the Honorable Justice Bernard J. Fried, Commercial Division of the Supreme Court of the State of New York. Later in his career, he joined Kelley Drye & Warren LLP in New York City where he continued his law practice. Then in 2013, Mr. Maloney co-founded the firm Kheyfits & Maloney LLP.
Mr. Maloney also serves as co-chair of the Global Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice group.
- Represented private equity firm in connection with books and records demand concerning portfolio company; negotiated out-of-court purchase and sale of minority member on favorable terms.
- Representing repurchase lender in civil actions against borrowers and liquidity providers; obtained a preliminary injunction enjoining borrowers from proceeding with claims in Hong Kong;
- Represented family office in connection with redemption request to limited partnership; negotiated 100% return on investment;
- Obtained temporary restraining order enjoining a FINRA arbitration in connection with representation of broker-dealer in dispute with a private equity firm;
- Represented shareholders of real estate holding company in a civil action concerning real property located in Hoboken, New Jersey;
- Represented inventor in patent infringement litigation against the United States;
- Defended international bank, acting as trustee, in contested accounting proceeding in Surrogate’s Court brought by beneficiaries of trusts
- Represented two pharmaceutical manufacturers in False Claims Act litigations brought by the Department of Justice and the attorneys general of several states
- Tezos Faces Legal Action, by Marina Fyrigou-Koulouri, Alexandra Levin Kramer and Michael Maloney, November 2017.
- China Introduces Its First Investment Dispute Arbitration Rules as ICSID Alternative, co-author with Jeffrey A. Rinde, Jing Li, Megan J. Penick and Joy Xiao, September 2017.
- China Halts Token Offerings but Signals Support for Blockchain Technology, co-author with Alexandra Levin Kramer, Jeffrey A. Rinde, Jing Li and Joy Xiao, September 2017.
- SEC Suspends Trading of Several Blockchain Companies, co-author with Alexandra Levin Kramer and Jeffrey A. Rinde, August 2017.
- N. Merkl, C. Katz, M. Maloney, From Botulism to Litigation: Insurance Industry Faces Growing Exposure Under the Federal False Claims Act, Risk & Insurance (May 2011).
- Philip D. Robben, Michael J. Maloney, Protecting Foreign Parent Corporations from Personal Jurisdiction in the U.S., Practical Law Company (July 26, 2010).