New York State Courts
United States District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Asset Based Lending
Alternate Dispute Resolution
Blockchain Technology & Digital Currency
Bachelor of Science with magna cum laude in Criminal Justice from St. John's University
J.D. from St. John's University School of Law
Maura Russell's practice focuses on bankruptcy and business reorganization matters, emphasizing secured transactions, in-court and out-of-court workouts, creditors' rights in bankruptcy proceedings, representation of official and unofficial creditors' committees, business counseling, contract negotiations, and buyers and sellers of distressed assets.
Ms. Russell has served as lead counsel to agents and secured lenders, official and unofficial creditors' committees, official equity committees and debtors in complex Chapter 11 cases. She also has performed transaction work in numerous cases with sellers, purchasers, lenders and secured and unsecured creditors of financially troubled companies, non-judicial restructurings and Chapter 11 reorganizations throughout the United States and Canada. In addition, Ms. Russell has an expertise in the field of trading of claims in chapter 11 cases throughout the country.
Ms. Russell is a court-approved mediator in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York after being certified as a qualified mediator by the American Bankruptcy Institute following her completion of its 40-hour bankruptcy mediation program at St. John's University School of Law.
Ms. Russell received a B.S., magna cum laude, from St. John's University in 1990 and a J.D. from St. John's University School of Law in 1993. She is a member of the Bar of the State of New York and is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the Western District of Michigan. Ms. Russell is also a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and the Turnaround Management Association.
Ms. Russell began her legal training at the boutique bankruptcy firm of Traub, Bonacquist & Fox, LLP, starting off as a law clerk during law school and ending up as a partner in this high profile boutique firm. Through a series of firm and bankruptcy group consolidations and moves, Ms. Russell has been a partner in Dreier LLP, Epstein Becker and Green, P.C., Riemer & Braunstein LLP, and most recently as Of Counsel at DiConza Traurig Kadish, LLP.
- Served as special asset disposition counsel/consultant to the secured lender in connection with the liquidation of the debtor's retail inventory, furniture fixtures and equipment in Anna's Linens, Inc. (Santa Anna, CA); Ben Moss Western Jewellers, Ltd. (Toronto, Canada); Delia*s, Inc. (White Plains, NY); Dots, LLC (Newark, NJ); Filene's Basement, LLC/Syms Corp. (Wilmington, DE); RadioShack Corporation (Wilmington, DE); and Rob & Stucky Limited LLP (Tampa, FL).
- Served as counsel to bidding group seeking to serve as the Company's agent to liquidate inventory in Brodkey Brothers, Inc. (Omaha, NE); Joyce Leslie, Inc. (New York, NY); hhgregg, Inc. (Indianapolis, IN); Total Hockey, Inc. (ED Missouri); and TSA Stores, Inc. (Sports Authority) (Wilmington, DE)
- Served as special counsel or asset disposition consultant to the debtor in connection with its store closing program and the liquidation of inventory, furniture, fixtures and equipment in in Finlay Enterprises, Inc. (a/k/a Finlay Fine Jewelry) (New York, NY); Loehmann's, Inc. (New York, NY); Steve & Barry's Inc. (New York, NY) and USA Discounters, Ltd. (Wilmington, DE);
- Served as counsel to the senior secured lender under multi-million-dollar asset based loan facility involving residential real estate in connection with overall chapter 11 case, litigation and negotiation of consensual plan of liquidation and realization of real estate collateral. JNL Funding Corp. and Joseph G. Forgione (New York, NY).
- Served as counsel to defendant in an action seeking turnover of alleged property of the estate having a value of $500,000 in Tandy Brands Ltd (Dallas, TX).
- Served as special counsel to the debtor and its manager in connection with the disposition of commercial property assets in KFM Holdings, Inc., et al. (Los Angeles, CA).