State Bar of New York
State Bar of New Jersey
United States Patent & Trademark Office
United States District Court of the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York;
United States District Court of District of New Jersey
United States Court of Appeals For The Federal Circuit
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Trademarks and Brands
Licensing and Technology Transfer
Strategic Counseling and Portfolio Development
Venture Capital Funding and Startup Formation
J.D., Rutgers University School of Law
B.S., Electronic Engineering, Tianjin University
Holly Y. Li is a partner in the New York City office. Ms. Li has over two decades of experience in cross-border intellectual property practices, focusing on cross-border IP litigations, strategic advice, licensing, IPR's offensive and defensive proceedings, patent assertions, prosecutions, portfolio management, asset acquisitions, monetization, and commercialization; start-up formation and venture capital funding. She represents clients in a wide range of industries, ranging from optical networking, AI, semiconductors, IoT, blockchain to fashion companies.
Ms. Li started her career as a patent and technology licensing manager at Lucent Technologies (now Nokia) and subsequently, embarked her law firm career with Baker & McKenzie and Quinn Emanuel. During her time there Ms. Li honed her patent drafting, prosecution, opinion, assertion, infringement defense, patent litigation, and cross-border IP dispute resolution skills.
Later Ms. Li headed up an IP group in a leading tech company where she successfully managed the corporation's worldwide IP portfolios and grew the value of its patent assets by implementing a series of winning patent monetization strategies worldwide.
Prior to joining CKR, Ms. Li has built up an IP Asset management advisory firm based in Hong Kong in addition to counseling clients on various IP related legal matters.
- Represented Lucent Technologies in licensing negotiations relating to a microelectronics patent portfolios;
- Evaluated targets for acquisitions on behalf of Lucent and DTS in the filed of digital coding and e-Commerce;
- Drafted and prosecuted patent applications relating to digital imaging, computer hardware, and software;
- Represented a major mobile manufacturer in its patent infringement defensive action in the US District Court of Northern California;
- Represented a major consumer electronics company in a patent and technology licensing agreement dispute before CIETAC in Beijing and Shenzhen;
- Represented a major consumer electronics company in a patent invalidation appeal in Beijing First Intermediate Court;
- Represented a hydrogen fuel cell company in the sale of its IP assets;
- Represented a French Patent investment fund in structuring a licensing entity in encoding/decoding technologies with Chinese counterparts;
- Represented a patent Investment fund in market research of China and the Asian market relating to NFC technology;
- Successfully represented Iron Dome in the Inter Partes Review process;
- Served as lead counsel for Cathy Trading Inc. in its defensive and counterclaim actions against Interlink Products International Inc. relating to alleged false advertising and patent infringement claim.
- Start Making Sense: Will Post-Grant Review Be More Reasonable to Litigants under the Phillips Standard? Co-author with Leslie Overman, CKR Law Blog and CKR IP Newsletter, December 2018
- IP and General Legal Issues in the MedTech Industry in China, CKR Law Blog and CKR IP Newsletter, October 2018.
- Cross-Border IP Investment, Commercialization and Monetization, Presented at the China Academy of Telecommunication Research ICT Forum on Innovation and IP Protection in Beijing, October 21, 2015, Beijing P.R. China.
- Maximizing IP Asset Value for Start-ups, presented at WYND Co-Working Space Central, September 2, 2015, Hong Kong.
- Intellectual Property for Business, co-presented at HK Trade Commission Entrepreneur Day on behalf of International IP Commercialization Council on May 29, 2015, Hong Kong.
- Cross Border IP Commercialization and Monetization, presented at Licensing Executive Society China HK Chapter meeting on April 16, 2015, Hong Kong.
- Maximizing IP Values in Asia, Presented to various fortune 100 companies in the US and Europe (July and August 2014), Beijing and Shanghai, P.R. China.
- How to Evaluate IP Assets, Presented at various companies in-house seminars in China, March and April 2013, Beijing and Shanghai, P.R. China.
- Why a government supported patent trading system is right on time - Draft submission to the Fifth Session of the 11th National People's Congress (NPC) (March 2012).
- Nortel’s Patents Sold For $4.5 Billion, China IP Magazine (July 5, 2011).
- LED Industry and Patent Analysis, SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY DAILY (September 7, 2010).