State Bar of Illinois
State Bar of California
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Franchise & Distribution
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
Alternate Dispute Resolution
Professional Liability Litigation
Breach of Contract and Business Torts
J.D., Indiana University School of Law, Magna Cum Laude
B.A., Finance, Indiana University
Rick Meyer is a first chair trial lawyer and has tried or arbitrated over thirty cases in venues across the United States. Mr. Meyer is recognized for possessing the ability to creatively handle all of the litigation and negotiation aspects of complex cases. Using these experiences, he also collaborates with clients regarding their risks and opportunities and establishing related legal and business strategies
Prior to his 2015 co-founding of Leonard Meyer LLP in 2015, a CKR affiliate firm, Mr. Meyer served as a partner in a large international firm for 16 years, where he was based in Chicago and Los Angeles and served on the firm's Trial leadership team.
Mr. Meyer has handled a wide range of commercial disputes as plaintiff or defendant. Mr. Meyer has significant experience in disputes which have involved private equity/venture capital firms and portfolio companies, alcohol, licensing, trade secrets, software development, M&A transactions and related subsequent disputes, partnership disputes, professional liability, asbestos defense, insurance, franchise/distribution, and bankruptcy.
- First-chaired the defense of debt re-characterization claims brought by junior debtors. Bankruptcy court refused plaintiffs’ request to treat private equity clients’ $32 million in senior notes as equity and rejected the plaintiffs’ allegations of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty against clients.
- Conceived and first-chaired a $410 million interpleader action filed by the largest United States’ tobacco companies against hundreds of plaintiffs’ attorneys. Obtained two separate injunctions
- enjoining competing lawsuits, the certification of three defendant classes of plaintiffs’ lawyers and negotiated the dismissal with prejudice of $2.8 billion in counterclaims without payment by the tobacco companies.
- Crafted a “dual arbitration” consisting of a simultaneous international arbitration and a related arbitration regarding sale goals to be set by an industry expert. Prevailed in the sales goal
- arbitration and leveraged victory to achieve a highly favorable contract buyout prior to the decision in the international arbitration panel.
- Defeated a competitor’s request for injunctive relief seeking to enjoin client from entering a $270 million pharmaceutical contract with Cook County.
- First-chaired the defense of large law firm in thirteen related securities fraud arbitrations in which 300 claimants sought over $200 million. After four years of litigation, matters favorably resolved for an amount roughly equal to future defense costs.
- Shortly before trial, obtained a decision from a California appellate court ordering the trial court to enter summary judgment in favor of client, a supplier of alcohol beverages, on a $30 million tortious interference claim brought by distributor.
- Won a significant patent licensing arbitration on behalf of a biotech company in an arbitration brought by the licensor of certain patents. Had previously first-chaired and won a $20 million patent license dispute involving related science, with the claimant receiving only a small fraction of amount previously offered in settlement.
- Obtained favorable jury verdict on fraud claim against a software development company.
- Lead national defense counsel for the author James Frey in over 15 consolidated class actions relating to the sale of Mr. Frey’s book, A Million Little Pieces.
- Lead national defense counsel for a large architectural engineering firm in asbestos litigation.